Many years ago I lived in California. A friend of mine, Megan, invited me to church shortly before my ninth birthday. She was my best friend. We did a lot things together and I loved her. I started going to church with her, ended up being taught by the missionaries and baptized in February 1990.
We were both Navy brats and as such moved away and lost contact with each other as kids do. I have looked for her for years, hoping that someday I might find her. In June 2007 I found who I thought could be her little brother on facebook of all places! I messaged him immediately, and at the end of August 2007 he replied. I had contact with the right family!!
Since then I have not heard from Megan, or much from Kendall since 2007. As I drove home from work today the thought kept coming back to my mind and heart, how much I would love to find Megan. When I got home I found myself at my computer searching all over the place for her. A name kept coming up associated with hers, and I decided I'd come this far and would make a fool of myself by calling a stranger if necessary.
I dialed. The phone was silent. It wouldn't connect, dumb cell phone signal! So, I pushed end, and then called right back, and it was ringing before I could even run through my mind what I would say. My heart was in my throat. The ringing stopped, and I heard "Hello?" I was able to form a somewhat intelligent question "I'm not sure if I have the right number, is this the number of Megan Hooper" I asked. I didn't understand the response, so she repeated, "yes" (how I could NOT understand "yes" I will never know). Then I asked if it was Megan Ashcroft Hooper, and again I heard the strange sound, was it really "yes"?? I felt a flood of emotion come over me, like I had just finished running a race that had taken years to finally reach the finish line. I had to respond, but how? My mouth couldn't keep up with the words that wanted to come out. So I told her quickly who I am, where I know her from, and that I've been trying to find her for years.
I imagined that moment as something different than it was, but it was nonetheless great. A little awkward maybe because we haven't spoken in about 18 years give or take. It wasn't long until we both had re-capped where we have lived, and gone to high school. She's married with 2.5 kids. Living in Arizona of all places! She's been here since she was 14 pretty much. Which is crazy, because I've lived here since I was 17! After she was married, they lived in Tempe for a while and ended up in Philadelphia, even more shocking! She was there from about August 2003 until December 2005. I was arrived in the Pennsylvania Philadelphia Mission in July 2004 and was there until December 2005. Our lives have parallelled at least somewhat in location. To make it an even crazier story- my friend Tiffany who was my YW leader my senior year of high school in Prescott Valley moved to Casa Grande some years ago. Turns out Megan and Tiffany were Visiting Teaching companions some time back. It truly is a small world.
I am so grateful for following the promptings and desire I have had to find her. This seems like a life long quest I fulfilled today. I suppose it is more of a journey within my lifelong quest. I am excited to now be able to call and email the girl I used to sing "Give Said the Little Stream" with and "I Am A Child Of God" with on bus field trips those many years ago. My heart is full. I am so blessed!
1 comment:
How fun to find your blog.... finally. ;)
Thanks for sharing that great story!
and for the multitude of ways that you touch my life. I'm truly blessed to know Amazing Amber- YOU!
Love you Donkey!
Post a Comment